namaste

wendell is my name, but I am essentially the same as you. I am of different form, but we are one. This is what I celebrate. this is a place of exploration to what I feel is my truth in any given moment. It is an expression of the glimpses in the moment that I experience as I try to bring them to life through my writing and capture them through photos. It is my practice, it is my laboratory, it is my playground

Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Line between Joy and Attachment

The thing about getting more out of life sometimes is that we often cling to the things that we have or have earned in time. It is definitely beautiful to enjoy things, and be appreciative of the blessings as they come. But on the other hand, we also have to be aware at all times, so that the mind will not cling so much on these things. For they are not us, they are just things from which our ego has attached itself into. When our tendencies to attach to things rule our lives, we are creating a life that can lead to a place of disconnection and greater fear. We tend to lose that light that has lead us to this blessed and beautiful existence. We need to be fully open in enjoying the things that come, but at the same time, respect the fact that we also need to contract to be able to be introspective enough to see what is essential. In this way, we can see that these things are not us, but things that we enjoy. They will never be our source of joy, for we are joy. They can be triggers, but they cannot be our ultimate source of joy. It is ironic that at times when we feel that we have nothing, we actually ask for divine guidance and intervention, and this in itself is an indication of the desire to connect to something that is far greater than us. It is in emptying ourselves that we become selfless, for if we strip ourselves of what we think we are, we arrive to something that is truthful. "Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" - if we can understand this fully, we are able to see the doors to a heavenly existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment